Friday, February 20, 2009

SERIES BOOKS UNDER GLASS

Today I was visited by Diane from the Galt (CA) library. I stop in there about every other week and recommend my favorite books to Diane, rent books & audio books, and share my latest publishing news. Yesterday I had a new book to show off -- DEAD GIRL DANCING which I donated to the Galt Library.

I lived in Galt for 16 years and I continue to do a writing contest for kids (with writer Danna Smith) at an elementery school. Even though I moved further into the foothills, I still have very fond feelings toward Galt, so I enjoy coming back for book-related events.

My upcoming event will be on March 14th at the library. I'm going to give an overhead picture presentation of "Girl Power Through Ages and Pages," showing book covers from the late 1800's through present, and sharing how books inspired girls to dream and achieve. For instance, THE AIRPLANE GIRLS, published in 1911, featured adventrous girls flying planes and solving mysteries before women could wear pants or vote.

I've only given this presentation a few times and it's always so fun. With a personal library of over 5,000 mostly series books, I have plenty of beautiful, dramatic, amazing artistic book covers to show. Plus the stories offer many surprises. I share series gossip like:

* What girl series sweetheart had an inappropriate relationship with her father?
* Which 1980's girl heroine was the first to discuss having to go pee while kidnapped for hours (not Nancy Drew who had several-day bladder)?
* And what vintage girl series was actually written by a famous male author?

Guess even one of those and I'll mail you a signed bookmark.

I offered to donate some of my collection to display in the Galt Library's glass case. So Librarian Diane was here today choosing what to use. I had more Nancy Drew items than anything else (1957 game, lunchbox, diary, T-shirt, MadLibs, doll, etc) so she decided to use mostly Nancy items. We added some books from other series, too, like Penny Parker, Judy Bolton and Kay Tracey.

My series book collection will be on display during March. I've never done this before and am looking forward to sharing my favorite things.

2 comments:

Danna Smith said...

Sounds like a great talk, I'm going to try to make it.

Mary Cunningham said...

You have an amazing display! I love the idea behind your presentation and can see that it would be enjoyed by all ages.


http://www.cynthiasattic.blogspot.com